Thursday, April 12, 2012

What a Difference a Month Makes





March came in like a lion for me! All of the things happening to me are good or for the best. In February my job at the mental health clinic came to an end. It was sad for me as I had grown to love being there. My last months were quite eventful. I took a stress management course and came out with important new skills. I learned to let go. I learned to accept supervision without hostility. My interactions with my coworkers became much smoother. My program supervisor told me that she sees many clients pass through her program untouched but that I had made profound changes in myself in my quest to return to work.

After my last day I decided to take a little time off before I started to look for work. That lasted about 10 days until I got bored. I decided I wanted to be a peer counsellor in the mental health field. The city had discontinued it’s program due to lack of funding so I had to look outside for nonprofit organisation. With the help of my employment counsellor I soon had applied for 2 great jobs.

One is with the Independent Living Resource Center helping mentally and physically disabled people to access the resources they needed to improve there lives. I’m happy to say that I’ve landed that one! I’ll start a six week training course on March 27.

I had my 2nd interview yesterday for a job as a mental heath consumers advocate with the Mental Health Association. This would be a much higher profile position that includes organising consumer groups to advocate to various service providers and do some public speaking myself. My interview went well so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I’m the best woman for the job!

Since I hate waiting for the phone to ring, I’ll be looking for other prospective employers next week.

Originally published 03/14/2007

No comments:

Post a Comment