Thursday, April 12, 2012

Everyday, a New Adventure

Originally composed 2 May 2006 
Tired of wrecking trains and running from Muni cops, I decided to take it easy over the weekend. I have a friend, Michael, whom I have breakfast with on Saturday mornings. I’d told him about transition and Joanna in the past but he’d never actually met her. I thought it was time they were introduced. I wore black slacks, a white cami and a 3/4 sleeve red shirt, open to my tummy. Finished up with black, ankle high boots with a chunky heel. I was a woman out for Saturday errands. I did my instant girl make up trick from the previous day because I was pressed for time. When I arrived I found my friend talking with an acquaintance. I walked toward him and he made no sign of recognition. When I got to the corner where he was standing I stopped and waited a second. Still, no response. I touched his sleeve and said in a low, throaty voice “ Hi, sailor, wanna have a good time?” He nearly fell over. After getting over his shock we decided on a cafe, a joint called Darla’s. I’d been there many times before but I was dressed boi. Besides with Michael, I’d been with my partner, a g-girl named Mary. She had told me on previous occasions the Darla hates women. She’s friendly, even flirtatious with men but barely acknowledged other women. I’d always thought she was exaggerating but today I would experience this myself. Darla came over and said hi, asked if we wanted coffee and gave us menus. While she spoke she directed it toward Michael. I was not included. Throughout the meal she completely ignored me. She directed all her attention to Michael and generally kept her back to me. Meanwhile she flirted and talked to my companion at every opportunity. She exchanged about 2 words with me. When we left I couldn’t wait to call Mary and tell her about my experience and apologize for doubting her. I’d learned it’s a completely new world out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment